Social and Behavior Change Specialist, Washington DC HQ
The Manoff Group, Inc. (TMG) is seeking a candidate for full-time employment as Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Specialist at its headquarters office in Washington, DC. This position plays a critical role in supporting the long-term success of several SBC projects in the TMG portfolio. This position requires keen interest in SBC work and provides an opportunity to work on a wide range of activities and with an experienced SBC team. This will be a hybrid remote/in-office position.
The SBC Specialist will be dedicated to supporting two to three of TMG’s projects. The focus of the work will be on supporting a variety of implementation research tasks and the application of research findings to improve priority behaviors in program contexts. There will also be a focus on assisting TMG technical teams to develop social and behavior change strategies and activities. The Specialist will be expected to learn and use the TMG Behavior Integration and process and tools.
This position will report to the Senior Advisor for Social and Behavior Change.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Engage in each project’s Social and Behavior Change (SBC) technical activities, as requested. This may include leading activities such a literature reviews, developing formative or implementation research protocols, and assisting in qualitative and quantitative research analysis. This can include developing Behavior Profiles to assist in strategy formulation, identifying behavioral outcome indicators, and supporting project monitoring and reporting;
- Travel to projects as needed to support program implementation (potential for up to 15% travel)
- Assist in developing and fine-tuning TMG’s Behavior Integration tools, resources, and materials for capacity development;
- Produce, assemble, comment on, and/or edit content for project materials, website pages, and key documents;
- Participate in TMG’s outreach activities, supporting presentations and orientations on TMG’s approach (Behavior Integration and BI Guidance (Think | BIG)) and projects;
- Conduct research on technical issues and support business development efforts as requested.
- Provide the day-to-day administrative & operational support to assigned projects including tracking deadlines, organizing, and coordinating work streams;
- Facilitate project check-in calls and meetings, as needed;
- Contribute to the development of project workplans, PMPs, and reporting requirements (monthly, quarterly, annual) if requested;
- Anticipate project teams’ needs with a willingness to lend a hand wherever necessary;
Other duties as requested.
Knowledge and skills required:
- Expertise in formative and implementation research, qualitative and quantitative
- Demonstrated professional experience in a relevant area of social and behavior change such as nutrition or maternal and child health
- Experience living or working overseas, preferably Asia or Africa
- Experience working in community-based programs a plus
- Work in immunization, food security and nutrition programs a plus
- Demonstrated leadership ability managing an activity or discreet part of an activity
- Excellent time management skills and ability to independently develop tasks
- Ability to follow-through on multiple tasks with quality
- Strong attention to detail based on verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work well on a team; excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French desired
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, social media and internet applications
- Master’s degree in public health, social science, communications, marketing, or related field required
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience, preferably in international development
- Demonstrated success managing research and research reporting
- Demonstrated success working in a team and in coordination of a variety of professional partners
- Fluent English required; proficiency in a French a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States of America
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with with ‘SBC Specialist” in the subject line by 7th October 2022.
More information here.
Social and Behavior Change Program Officer, NAWIRI Project
The Social and Behavior Change Program Officer will work closely with the SBC Integration Advisor to support implementation of cross-cutting social and behavior change activity implementation in Marsabit County, Kenya. This position will report directly to Nawiri’s SBC Integration Advisor, and also report to TMG’s Senior Advisor for Social and Behavior Change for Nawiri, based in the United States. This position will work closely with the Social and Behavior Change Program Officer for Isiolo County to ensure program cross learning between the two counties.
The position will be based in Marsabit county, one of the Nawiri implementing counties and will be responsible to ensure that all SBC activities support the achievement of Nawiri integrated behavior change activities in Marsabit county. The position will be responsible for the timely implementation of all SBC related activities based on designed SBC practices, capture lessons learned and use these to inform iteration of strategies. The SBC officer will also take a leading role in coordination with all project staff and partners in the consortium to adhere to the SBC strategy and approach in Marsabit county. The Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Officer will provide overall technical assistance for supporting the design, implementing, monitoring social behavior change strategies and activities across and within the program interventions.
Strategy and Activity Development and Planning
· The individual will participate in the preparation for any necessary SBC related materials, support materials development, pre-testing, and integration as directed by SBC Integration Advisor for Nawiri activity implementation.
· Work closely with Nawiri implementation consortium partners, and other organizations working in the same area to plan and integrate activities targeting the same community.
SBC Activity Implementation and Coordination
Per agreed upon strategy and the Nawiri detailed implementation plan (DIP), the program officer will supervise roll-out of SBC activities in designated county, including
· Coordinate monitoring of activities as designed in the Nawiri SBC Strategy
· Ensure timely implementation of all SBC related activities based on the developed Nawiri SBC strategies, and the Nawiri DIP.
· Coordination with all project staff and partners in the consortium to adhere to the SBC strategy and approaches.
· Work closely with project technical and management staff to generate stakeholder inputs, and support in development of implementation plans which integrate SBC strategies, at all levels.
· Work with frontline service providers including the community mobilizers, community conversation and engagement teams working in the different Nawiri intervention approaches to ensure quality roll-out of SBC interventions to the communities and households.
Capacity Building, Mentorship, and development
· Identify sector-specific SBC champions to drive SBC activity implementation, build their capacity on SBC, accompany, mentor, and monitor implementation/integration of their sector specific SBC interventions to ensure overall program quality.
· Capacity building of different teams at the county, providers, community, and Nawiri LIPs (Caritas) on behavior led and human centered designs activities and approaches
· Lead and motivate the community own resource persons (e.g., CHVs) to ensure effective project implementation.
· Train and mentor community-level change agents (i.e., interpersonal communication agents, community mobilizers, other community stakeholders) in the use of Nawiri SBC strategy and engagement with priority audience segments.
· Work with local implementing partners, community-based organizations (CBOs), Faith based Organizations (FBOs) to define contextual desired behaviors and community expectations and structures for behavior uptake.
· Train community groups, committees, and teams to implement Nawiri SBC activities including storytelling and IPC activities.
· Work with Nawiri implementing partners and community leadership to implement social accountability strategies for behavior change and provide leadership and support as needed and evaluate performance regularly.
· Capacity build the Nawiri implementing teams and community own resource persons to co-create and integrate Nawiri SBC strategies, and to ensure they have the requisite skills and knowledge to implement SBC interventions as required.
Monitoring, evaluation, and documentation
· Participate in the Nawiri quarterly and annual work planning process in close collaboration with Nawiri Implementing teams in Marsabit County and subcounty government teams and the project staff
· Prepare high quality narrative reports as required, ensuring they are submitted for review in a timely manner. This will involve compilation of information from a range of project staff and implementing partners
· Serve as a technical knowledge, skills, and experience hub for Nawiri SBC in Marsabit County in documenting and sharing best practices and innovations for replication and advocacy together with the Accountability and learning team.
· Work closely with the monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and research teams to ensure that all SBC-related monitoring plans, reviews, accountability, learning, evaluations are in line with the donor guidelines and are being implemented as required.
· Facilitate appropriate dissemination and documentation of SBC related good practices and lessons learnt for in the project internally and externally to donors, county governments, consortium partners and other key actors for use in adaptive programming for immediate and sustainable reduction of acute malnutrition.
· Must be authorized to work in Kenya
· 3-5 years’ experience in design and implementation of evidence-based behavior change strategies in Kenya, ideally, but not necessarily, related to young child nutrition, agriculture, or food security
· Understands social and behavior change concepts, and keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field
· Experience working in the ASALs and on behavior change interventions within the ASAL regions in Kenya.
· Able to build consensus among partners and stakeholders at different levels
· Strategic thinker who enjoys creative and innovative concepts, processes, and product development
· Strong collaborator able to work with colleagues of different backgrounds to develop new ideas and perspectives
· Demonstrated ability to articulate concepts well in writing and speaking
· Proficiency in MS Office and internet applications required
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in one of the following or related fields: Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, communication, or international public health/nutrition with a specialization in behavioral science
· 3-5 years of relevant experience in nutrition and/or health behavior change activities in the ASAL region, Experience in Marsabit County is a plus
· Demonstrated success in applying behavior change theory and approaches in field settings
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter to email@example.com with ‘SBC Program Officer – Marsabit’ in the subject line by 30th September 2022.
More info here.
The Manoff Group is always looking for experienced professionals to work on short- and long-term technical assignments.
If you are interested in being a part of our consultant database, [expand title=”please click here to provide your information.”] Once the form is complete and you hit “Submit,” you will be taken to a page to upload your CV.[/expand]
Partner With Us
Our approach to business development and project implementation is maximized when we work in close partnership with other organizations from beginning to end. We are available to join consortiums on proposal development for a variety of different donor-funded projects, and are flexible and responsive in our collaboration on technical writing. Further, we are able to access resources around the world to bring strong staffing capabilities to the process. Contact us to discuss opportunities.
Once a project gets started, we participate as a seamless member of the team, supporting in-country staff as well as providing short-term technical assistance to the field as required by the project to ensure the overall objectives are met. Our agility as an organization shines through this work, as we are able to quickly adjust and respond to changing project requirements.